A week with mom away: Day 1 to 3.

A lot of thing had happened (or acquired, so to speak) ever since the last entry. It is as if I had achieved those New Year's resolutions of mine, and I couldn't help but feeling ecstatic (without the ecstacy, of course). I had acquired a new cellphone, nothing fancy, just a Nokia 5130 XpressMusic in red. It cost me MYR420 plus a 2gb memory card, which I went to buy it with my housemate on Nov 11th at Plaza Alam Sentral. The purchase was rather important considering the fact that I had been phone-less for about 5 months after the bloody incident on June 15th when my beloved-and-missed Motorola L6i was snatched away, along with the textbook and the teaching material.

The whole focus of purchase and acquisition towards the year end was on the 'preparation' to become a final semester student aka a seniorita (lol) in the course that I am taking. Say it nonsensical, but I build up this belief that I should brush up on my looks and appearance to suit the status. Not only that, I did all these thinking that wow, this is going to be my 14th and perhaps my last semester being in the varsity, had I not chosen to further my Masters or that the offer will not seem to be materialized thus far. For once in my life, I crave to be and look like a final semester student with the integrity and credibility of one.

And so, therefore, I plunged into a series of purchase, following the acquisition of the cellphone. Well, actually it started earlier than that with the purchase of the man-bag and the skinny pants. And I followed-them-up with buying perfumes in Body Shop for the first time (pretty pathetic, I know), new jet-black full-frame glasses with new power for the lenses, and a couple of checked shirts for the sake of portraying the image afreshed. I bought one recently in ROMP, KLCC for MYR 45.90 in black,blue and white and already eyeing on the green, purple, red-purple and purple-red. I plan on having 7 of them in different colors to be worn once a week.

Also in the garment department, I envision myself to re-plunge into the ethnic wear on Fridays as I used to wear back in my diploma days. It's all come to the choice to walk down the memory lane and live up the glory days of the yesteryears. I had said it before and I'm gonna say it again: I love history and I live by the past, present, and future. That said, I already bought a 2-meters of pastel pink cloth to be sent for tailoring. Like the checked shirt, I also envision myself having 7 of the different shades and tones. Or more.

Yesterday strucked me with some kind of revelation as to why I always thought that my entries were somehow lack of substance. It was because I penned on things in the future or something of immediate that I didn't really get the chance to reflect on it and getting the bird's eyes views. Those entries couldn't help but becoming superficial. As I put it on my blog header, as well as I had put it in my presentations, hindsights are absolutely 20/20.

Coming back to the title of this entry, this 'a week with mom away' event commenced with her being invited to stay over my sis' crib to accompany her while her husband went out of town (or country) and left for Japan for a week. Sugoi ne. Yeah, I wish I could be in his place, without the accountability, of course. So, yeah, coming from a family of 'boys', all that are left in the house are 4 hungry mouths waiting to be fed. Thankfully enough, the red meats from the 'korban' are still available and myself and my youngest bro decided to use them up for good.

This week has been quite a 'survival' mode. We became like tacticians to the other chauvinists who expect the food to be served on the table. We became thrift-spenders with the limited budget mum had left behind and instinctively, my mind became alert with the groceries that can be bought within the limitations. It was fun and I wouldn't say it as being a challenge at all, since my experience in the uni and living a student's life has taught me majorly on how to survive on a shoestring budget. It is funny, but I always feel a sense of satisfaction when, say, I managed to buy a few things I like with an RM10 note.

My bro (hereby called as ototo, the Japanese for younger brother) is the real 'chef'. He isn't really a skilled cook, but he can conjure edible meals from the 'throwing' here and there of the ingredients. He gets the skill and experience having spending the most time with my mom. The youngest complex, they say.

For the first day, which was this Monday, we had just arrived from Penang from visiting the in-laws and my newborn niece. The 'wheel-lag' was hardly brushed off and yet we had to live in reality. While my bro (the older than mine) went off to work that noon, we began preparing the meals.

The first meal was just mere fried meat with a little touch of sauces (of soy and chilli). It lasted until mom and my eldest bro and his wife and kids arrived later in the evening and we had Nasi Ayam Dara for dinner that night. The 'conquest' was to begin the next day.

Tuesday arrived, and it was weird having to be up and about, boiling the water, making drinks, boiling the eggs and made the nestums (lol) for breakfast. I was so used to being a 'chauvinist' (LOL) that the thought of preparing meals not just for myself but the household amused me. I had only 3 hours of sleep the night before and it kinda took a toll on me. We made sardine stew for lunch and it was edible. As if it was that hard. For the 'minum petang', I made Mi SEDAP for two and that kept us going without the usual okashi (kuih). Later that night, we fried some more meat to accomodate the dinner and the 2nd night was over.

On Wednesday, which was yesterday, I become rather ambitious and visionary. Lol. I thought up of the meal for the day and the next within the financial constraint. We decided to make 'Daging Masak Kicap' for the day, based on mum's famous recipe. We tried our best to replicate it, but ended up with a rather bland one, though still edible. So it was still commendable. It wasn't only the preparation of the meal but also the house-cleaning needed to be attended to and I gotta say I moved about the most this week.

For today, I decide to cook fried mee for breakfast and perhaps back to sardine for lunch. Dinner would probably be fried rice. It's Thursday and mom would be back tomorrow or on Saturday. Hoping that I'd get the allowance by this weekend. I can use it to buy another shirt at ROMP! ^__^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refurbished. Wee ~

2009. R.I.P. (A year in retrospective)

Two roads diverged in a concrete jungle.