Let Us Mind Our Language ;)

Hello people ~

Wow it sure had been quite a while since I was away on hiatus. Thing is, there was some 'complication' that had to be settled and thankfully, it was settled ;) I have to thank God for that. Now finally I feel the festive mood.

Of course, even while I was away, I still had time to browse through, read (skim and scan, lol) some of your blogs. To blackmonoakanad, I still don't recognize your face ! A little hint would do ;) To others, well, now should be the 'right' time to pay more attention to your GRAMMAR now that Dr. Grammar (ehem2) is here, should it not?

Well this is rather disorganized, but I would like to pinpoint on a few 'mistakes' that didn't quite manage to escape my sight ;)

1) The -ed

Of course, the simplest rule that we know of the ed's would be the past tense form. Other than that, we also use the ed's when it involves some other forms. For example:

* This is rather disorganized (refer above)

* I am called Teacher Irwan

* Choo has waited for Hari Raya to arrive for almost a year now ;)

* Sharmla had blogged her last entry a few days ago ;)

* Nawarzir 'Nintama' Jay is excited (excite + ed) to go back to his kampung ;)

* Nad 'Blackmono' Imtiyaz is interested in English ;)

* Teacher Irwan is liked by all except his own Efektif students (LOL)

So, do you see now when the ed's are used? How can you tell if someone ask you, 'Why do you use (or add) -ed to the sentence?

Well, apart from the SIMPLE past tense rule, we can also look at the kind of sentence. You DO know that there are two (2) kinds of sentences, do you not?

So, what are they?

.
.
.
.
.

I'm waiting...;)
.
.
.
Alright. Let me just give you the answer, shall I?

The two kinds of sentences are...*drumroll please*

1) Active sentences

2) Passive sentences

I would venture into more details regarding those two, but at present it is sufficient for me to say that the arrangement of the part of speech (look for the eight part of speech that is the grammar) largely determines whether a sentence is an active or a passive sentence.

For instance, let's take from one of the examples I had provided above.

* Teacher Irwan is liked by all except his Efektif students.

This sentence is a PASSIVE sentence. How do we know? Because now the subject (All except his Efektif students) is at the end of the sentence while the object (Teacher Irwan) is now at the beginning.

So how do we change the sentence back to its ACTIVE form?

I give you the active form first.

All except his Efektif student LIKE Teacher Irwan.

Do you see now that the -ed has gone?

This is because active sentence SHOULD NOT have the ed's. Unless it is in PAST TENSE.

Therefore, sentence such as I called Nawarzir is wrong. It should be I am called Nawarzir. In active form, it should be Call me Nawarzir. ;)

Don't get me started on the non-action aka the linking aka the 'be' verb. That may be later.

For now, how about you people attempt the remaining examples? See if you can change them into their active form.

Post a comment on THIS entry, not on the chatbox if you feel like doing so.

Till then, HAPPY learning, because English is FUN!

p/s: Happy Raya everyone. Forgive me physically and mentally+spiritually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two roads diverged in a concrete jungle.

Reincarnation : Blast from the past.

The Passing of January.